You are hereBack to top
Peng Lei specialises in complex IP, patent and antitrust-related litigation across industries, particularly manufacturing, tech and consumer goods, and has represented international household names as well as China's biggest businesses.
He offers an integrated international capability for some of the world’s largest companies.
Peng Lei advises multinational and domestic companies in the mechanical, electrical, telecommunications, semiconductor, chemical and pharmaceutical industries, solving intellectual property-related disputes involving patent infringement, patent invalidation, trade secrets misappropriation, trademark infringement and unfair competition. He also has experience in advising both antitrust disputes regarding standard essential patents (SEPs) and traditional antitrust disputes.
Fluent in Mandarin and English, Peng Lei obtained bachelor's and master's degrees in engineering from China's prestigious Tsinghua University in 2003 and 2006 respectively.
He then joined the China National Intellectual Property Administration (CNIPA) as a patent examiner in 2006, before working at King & Wood Mallesons in Beijing as an IP litigator for five years. He joined Han Kun Law Offices in 2015 and attended the building-up of its IP team from early stage.
Peng Lei is a committee member of the Patent Law Committee of the Beijing Lawyers Association, and recognised as an expert in handling cross-border IP disputes by that association.
Peng Lei's experience includes:
- Defended a world-leading smart device manufacturer in patent infringement lawsuits against a non-practicing entity (NPE) before the Beijing Higher People's Court and CNIPA, reaching a favourable settlement for the client.
- Defended a world-leading smart device manufacturer in a series of patent infringement lawsuits initiated by several foreign patent owners, including 3GPP SEP owners. Successfully invalidated all patents involved before the CNIPA.
- Successfully represented a world-leading smart device manufacturer in the Chinese section of a global antitrust/FRAND dispute against a famous SEP owner in the telecommunication industry.
- Represented a smart device manufacturer in the Chinese section of a global SEP-related dispute against a famous SEP owner in the telecommunication industry. Successfully reached partial invalidations of the key Chinese SEPs involved.
- Defended a world-leading photovoltaic equipment manufacturer in patent infringement disputes against a leading Chinese competitor. Successfully reached partial invalidation against the plaintiff's key patent and frustrated the progression of its infringement lawsuit.
- Represented a global leading Nordic heavy machinery manufacturer in patent infringement dispute against a Chinese competitor. Won the final judgment before the Supreme People's Court, and the case was selected as a leading case of the Hangzhou Intermediate Court.
- Represented a leading Chinese manufacturer of piezosurgery devices in a series of declaratory judgment cases. Helped the client to win declaratory judgments, which were selected as leading cases of the Beijing IP Court.
- Represented a Chinese medical device manufacturer in a series of patent infringement lawsuits initiated by a main competitor. Successfully invalidated the plaintiff’s several key patents or created effective estoppel and forced the plaintiff to withdraw the corresponding infringement cases.
- Defended China-based online media, search and game service company SoHu in patent infringement actions filed by a main competitor regarding streaming media technologies, and successfully invalidated all asserted patents.
- Represented a Chinese major manufacturer of valves in a judicial review against an invalidation decision against its patent. Successfully reversed the unfavourable invalidation decision and held the client’s patent valid.